Several sources tell me that tomorrow, March 10, is traditionally a day of first class celebration within the Legion of Christ and Regnum Christi. At least during previous years. For those unfamiliar with the significance of this date, March 10 is the day Mama Maurita gave birth to Maciel.
In recent days there has been much talk about the division this scandal has caused between Catholics. Perhaps we can make tomorrow a day of prayer and fasting for Maciel’s victims, in reparation for the evil they suffered at Maciel’s hands. Given that tomorrow is Wednesday, not to mention during Lent, it is already a day of fast and abstinence.
I’m assuming that during Lent most readers already recognize the need to pray the Rosary and attend Mass. However, here are further suggestions of prayers and sacrifices we can offer tomorrow for Maciel’s victims:
– a Holy Hour in front of the Blessed Sacrament.
– A thorough examination of conscience followed by confession.
– The Chaplet of St. Michael the Archangel
– Apologize to someone you have hurt or wronged over the past year.
– If you are an integrated parent whose evenings (and those of your children) are normally consumed by apostolates, take the night off and spend it together as a family.
– An hour’s volunteer at an apostolate or mission that serves the poor – soup kitchen, food bank, St. Vincent de Paul Society, etc.
I’m sure there are many more ideas you can think of. So let’s make tomorrow a day of prayer and fasting for Maciel’s victims.